The Project & Customer:
The customer is a US Cable Major and is one of the leading MSOs in the world, instrumental as a torchbearer in implementing and adapting new technologies in the constantly evolving Broadcast ecosystem. Tata Elxsi has engaged with them since last 4 years and has grown from a 20 member team to a 250+ team, as a strategic partner supporting multiple testing and development projects in video, voice and data services.
The engagement scope includes development of applications (STB as well as Second screen apps), middleware platform, testing and validation services (Broadcast servers, Headends, STBs, DTAs etc.) and Lab operations support. Tata Elxsi has been providing testing and automation services in Video, Voice and Data verticals for this MSO major.
Challenges Faced with Video Test Automation:
- Testing/ Test automation became complex as MSO targeted content delivery over a variety of platforms (STB variants, smartphones, laptops, etc.)
- With different types of content, application/ services and head-end variants, video test automation became even more intricate. Ensuring maintainability and reusability of test scripts was a critical in this context.
- Ensuring reliability of test automation while targeting improved ROI with remote execution approach
- Pioneered remote testing as a feasible & scalable proposition, enabling the customer to address their internal goals
- More than 25000 test cases automated in Video and Voice (including Legacy/OCAP set-top EPG, VOD, E2E of Head-end server, eTV apps)
- Successfully leveraged readily available & reusable components including different software stacks
- Highly Experienced team with expertise in technologies as OTT, ATSC, DVB, EBIF, OCAP, Tru2Way, RDK and in depth experience in a variety of automation tools including QTP, Selenium, TestNG, Sikuli
- Strategic infrastructure investments that helped in reducing the customer Capex
Business Benefits Delivered:
- Cost effectiveness achieved by leveraging offshore manpower & time zone difference
- Established a working model for best usage of customers' infrastructure by remote execution
- Achieved average automation test coverage of 80% across different projects resulting in an overall reduction of time taken to run test cycles by 56%
- Helped in achieving savings of over $300K monthly by ingesting automation scripts in regression test cycle