Rolling Stock & Systems
Reliable, Safe and Connected
Rolling Stock & Systems
Reliable, Safe and Connected
Rapid growth in passenger volumes worldwide is creating pressure on rail operators to increase the frequency of service while maintaining high safety standards. Intense competition with other modes of transport has compelled the rail industry to reduce journey times while offering exceptional travel experience to its passengers. The introduction of mobile friendly networks inside the train and at railway stations opens up the need for resilient networks that can counter cyberattacks.
The coming of the digital age also offers opportunities to optimise operating costs through fully automated driverless operations that can increase system availability, network capacity, and operational efficiency to meet these challenges. With automation in driverless trains, further reduction in headways is possible.
With rising ridership for metros, Train operators have been looking at new signaling systems such as CBTC to increase the throughput of the existing network safely. Technologies such as obstacle detection systems for trams and light rail vehicles, Wayside signal detection & processing for mainline operations are some areas in pursuit of driverless operations.
Opportunities & Challenges
Validation of functionalities and interfaces during on-train testing causes many challenges with significant risk of discovering issues much later for critical functions. Modeling complexities early-on at the definition stage and simulating functionalities with the virtual test bench, that implements Model Based Systems Engineering (MBSE), can bring best practices followed in adjacent transportation industries.
Traditional systems engineering does not enable seamless collaboration across all teams as there is no single version of truth among teams. Using the MBSE approach, all teams can use a single system model that fosters more efficient collaboration.
Such an approach enables a left shift of a sizable portion of validation in the V-cycle, thus building confidence in the downstream development phase and reducing the late discovery of issues.
- Concept design for metro rail and locomotives
- Modelling & visualization for concept & production surface modeling, photorealistic renderings, AR/VR demo, and animations
- Human factors for cab & saloon physical ergonomics & assessment
- Driver's cab glare assessment
- Passenger flow and evacuation
- Full scale engineered mockup build
Physical Installation & Integration:
- CAR body exterior and interiors
- Driver cab and driver desk
- DFM and DFA of different components & Subsystem based on material or manufacturing process
- CAE validation – crashworthiness, strength & durability, NVH, CFD, etc.
- Gap & flush, tolerance management
- Electrical wiring harness design and development
- Pipe routing and mounting
- Drawing release for component manufacturing
Sub System Engineering
- Preparing system requirement document
- Supplier evaluation and interaction
- Preliminary and detailed design review
- First article inspection & production part approval process
- Preparing train vehicle level test specs
- Performance and validation of subsystems
Signaling & Telecom:
- EI/CBI design & verification for mainline and metros
- Software engineering for Train monitoring system, Operational control centre
- Independent software V&V for the safety critical modules of ATP, ATO
- Engineering support for rolling stock signalling upgrades
- Product engineering support for 4G/5G devices, gateways, ethernet switches, routers etc.
- Network transformation services: SDN, NFV
Train Control and Management System (TCMS):
- System engineering
- TCMS platformisation
- Software quality assurance and validation
- TCMS application software development
- TCMS and subsystem integration
- Test engineering for TCMS
- TCMS HMI
- Operability engineering
- Train architecture (Functional, Electrical, Mechanical)
- Functional requirements modelling & simulation
- Functional requirements decomposition & allocation to sub-systems
- Requirements management from train level to components
- Vehicle level validation on lab train
Onboard & Offboard Electronic Systems:
- Model based development/Reverse engineering
- Embedded software development
- RAMS for component & ECU
- HILS validation of component/system
- Test automation
- Requirements management
- Hardware development - PCB design/FPGA/gateway/controller
Automated Test Equipment/Test Rigs:
- Design & Development of PC Based Virtual Test Bench
- Hardware-In-Loop Simulation Rig
- Lab Train Rig for train simulation
- Test Automation Framework
- Focused product design & engineering services having delivered multiple innovative products in the transportation sector.
- Expertise with MBSE approach in the left of v-cycle of rolling stock development.
- Thought leadership position in innovation & design engineering
- Cutting edge technology & nexgen solution- ing abilities
- Established delivery & engineering processes, Solution enablers frameworks & strong IP portfolio
- Early adopters of technology like AI, Machine Learning, Data Analytics, IoT, AR/VR, etc.
- Global presence with scalability on demand
- Highly experienced team of human factors, industrial design & service design
Benefits to the Customer
- A single partner for complete product development lifecycle from R&D, new product development, and testing to maintenance engineering
- Reimagine products and services through design thinking and application of digital technologies
- Offer innovative, cost-effective, and scalable solutions that enable brands to differentiate and win.
- An enhanced experience for passengers, train drivers, maintenance staff, etc.
- Cost & time savings through the left-shifting of validation
- Modular platform based products development approach
- Improved vehicle performance
To subscribe to the latest updates & newsletter